AWUGU Meeting Report about Security Provisions
by Tom Piper, Coordinator
This Apple World User Group University online gathering of Apple user group leaders was held at 5:00pm CDST, on January 16, 2023, via Zoom. We had 41 participants for the topics of CES Report and “AUG Security Provisions” (see attached JPG image and PDF attendance list). The 75-minute video can be viewed at https://youtu.be/RsUFxNVwN2U(unlisted on YouTube).
This session opened with my welcome, plus a quick review of the meeting protocols. Doug Smith, Chair of the Apple User Group Advisory Board (AUGAB) provided backup support during the call.
The first segment was my brief report about images and products seen at the 2023 Consumer Electronic Show in Las Vegas on January 5-8 (see attached PDF slideshow). Jon Scrudder (Alaska Apple Users Group) had also attended and shared some of his observations about electric bicycles, health diagnostic toilets, meeting Seth Rogen (actor, filmmaker, comedian), and getting access to CES in the future.
The next segment was a presentation about 1Password by Andy Suhaka (Macintosh Users Group of the South Denver Area) which stimulated an active discussion about this excellent app as well as Keychain, SplashID and Norton. This was followed with addition information provided by Steve Welsh (The Oregon MacPioneers User Group) describing several items related to Martin Luther King Jr day (see links below). Many questions and comments followed with exchange of information about virtual private networks (like Express VPN, Nord VPN, free VPNs) Passkey (described by Dan Wassink), and backup systems (like BackBlaze). Numerous password keepers were mentioned including LastPass, Everyday, Yubikey, Lifelock, mSecure, Enpass, and others.
Additional questions were asked, comments made, experiences shared and suggestions offered by user group leaders with the following excellent links provided in the Chat Room:
- Craig Jobbins: https://support.1password.com/getting-started-mac/
- George Brooks: https://support.1password.com
- Steve Welch – hacks: https://apple.news/ArcslZdzKTn-x8hFGi1Lcsw and https://tidbits.com/issues/1641/ and https://appleinsider.com/articles/23/01/14/nortonlifelock-warns-of-password-manager-account-breaches
- Steve Welch – security key: https://appleinsider.com/articles/23/01/15/how-to-add-a-security-key-to-an-apple-id-in-ios-163
- Steve Welch – King honored: https://appleinsider.com/articles/23/01/16/apple-honors-dr-martin-luther-king-jr-with-free-book-homepage-tribute
- Craig Jobbins: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ksVbeh-UNQ
- Steve Welch – alarm: https://twitter.com/basicappleguy/status/1613533791137693696
- George Brooks: https://setapp.com
- Marty Jencius: https://www.expressvpn.com/go/home?gclid=Cj0KCQiAiJSeBhCCARIsAHnAzT_I7YGfmQhkC_3qqoKmeva1URhDPHO8sCknn5lEZVWXsC43s1W6leIaAk7bEALw_wcB
- Nicholas Smith – best VPNs: https://www.nytimes.com/wirecutter/reviews/best-vpn-service/
- Steve Welch: https://www.apple.com/support/systemstatus/
We are very pleased with this first meeting of 2023. Files related to this meeting (including chat, closed caption, agendas, reports, slideshows and videos) are available on our AWUGU shared folder: https://www.icloud.com/iclouddrive/0kF7XwYI98VG0fqvL86PJm02g#AWUGU. AWUGU 2025 Predictions and Product Reviews may also be viewed here (more submissions are invited).
After a brief discussion about future topics related to graphic presentations and where to find good speakers, it was suggested “Apple Visual Organizing” be scheduled for February 20, 2023, at 5:00pm Central Daylight Saving Time (all current AWUGU registrants will receive an invitation to all future meetings).
To become a participant, any interested Apple User Group leader must first register with the AWUGU Coordinator by emailing their name, location, and user group name and web link to email@example.com. Registration must be received by February 17 in order to receive a Zoom Meeting invitation.