AWUGU Meeting Report about AUGs and ChatGPT
by Tom Piper, Coordinator
This Apple World User Group University online gathering of Apple user group leaders was held at 5:00pm CDST, on March 20, 2023, via Zoom. We had 36 participants for “AUGs and ChatGPT” (see attached JPG image and PDF attendance list). The 85-minute video can be viewed at https://youtu.be/UF8yrq9ll68 (unlisted on YouTube).
This session opened with my welcome, plus a quick review of the meeting protocols. Doug Smith, Chair of the Apple User Group Advisory Board (AUGAB) provided backup support during the call.
The main presentation was about AI for Apple User Groups by Ann McKay and Hope Tillman (Apple Charlestown User Group) showing a very informative slide presentation about accessing and using AI (see attached PDF file) plus demonstrations of each. This was followed by a Business Use of ChatGPT discussion by Dan Wassink who will have his ChatGPT presentation on March 30 (see link below). Artificial Intelligence: Friend or Foe? was then presented by Steve Welch (OMUG) about the pros and cons of AI in the news (see attached PDF file). There were numerous questions and comments offered by other attendees in response to these excellent and very informative presentations.
Doug Smith then briefly fielded questions about “what AUGs need from the Apple User Group Advisory Board”. He invited anyone to send comments and suggestions to him directly to his email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Related to the topic of artificial intelligence, numerous experiences shared and suggestions were provided by user group leaders with the following links in the Chat Room:
- Dan Wassink: https://www.danstutorials.com/event-calendar/unleashing-the-power-of-chatgpt-ai-for-productivity-and-creativity/
- Ann McKay: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1gme0OMX5rZ8aBz7t_MTs15erK2W9L9OD4jjMy44sbo8/edit?usp=sharing
- Ann MacKay:https://www.canva.com/design/DAFciypzqUE/4l2fyjNavqethyj0xFTbCA/edit?utm_content=DAFciypzqUE&utm_campaign=designshare&utm_medium=link2&utm_source=sharebutton
- Marty Jencius: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-quC5i44SsI
- Graham Walker: https://apple.news/AcPzr2_t9QA-AI0QrwVD3sA
- Robert van Lier: https://futuretools.io
- Dan Wassink: https://www.notion.so/product/ai
- Dan Wassink: https://poe.com/login
- Ann MacKay: https://medium.com/@Writers.Digest/the-fascinating-history-of-chatgpt-3dd1018a1041
- Ann MacKay: https://skillednursingnews.com/2023/03/ai-use-by-medicare-advantage-blamed-for-increased-denial-of-nursing-home-services/
- Cassie Mac: https://www.amazon.com/Weapons-Math-Destruction-Increases-Inequality/dp/0553418815
We are very pleased with this third meeting of 2023. Files related to this meeting (including chat, closed caption, agendas, reports, slideshows and videos) are available on our AWUGU shared folder: https://www.icloud.com/iclouddrive/0kF7XwYI98VG0fqvL86PJm02g#AWUGU.
After a brief discussion about future topics related to reasons to be an AUG member, it was suggested “Benefits of AUG Membership” be scheduled for April 17, 2023, at 5:00pm Central Daylight Saving Time (all current AWUGU registrants will receive an invitation to all future meetings).
To become a participant, any interested Apple User Group leader must first register with the AWUGU Coordinator by emailing their name, location, and user group name and web link to email@example.com. Registration must be received by April 15 in order to receive a Zoom Meeting invitation.